Checked elsewhere

Checks published by other fact-checking organisations. We did not do these checks. Each one names who did, shows their rating in their own words, and links to their full article.

Their rating

15 checks for “Rodrigo Duterte”

Checked by Vera Files7 May 2025PhilippinesElections
Sara Duterte

“Vice President Sara Duterte asks for votes of reelectionist Sen. Imee Marcos , saying she will bring back former president Rodrigo Duterte from The Hague.”

Vera Files rated this: Misleading

Vera Files says: As the former president is in the middle of a legal process, particularly the pre-trial stage, of the ICC, he cannot walk free unless the court approves his temporary release. A senator has no power to bring him back fr…

Checked by Vera Files29 Feb 2024PhilippinesElections
Rodrigo Duterte

“Former president Rodrigo Duterte says he supports the efforts to amend the 1987 Constitution for as long as the changes would not benefit the incumbents and the set of leaders who will be elected in the next election.”

Vera Files rated this: Flip-flop

Vera Files says: On Jan. 6, Duterte said he sees no reason for Charter change because "we have a good Constitution" and that "there is absolutely… I find it in perfect condition; absolutely nothing wrong with it."

Checked by Vera Files5 Jul 2021PhilippinesElections
Harry Roque

“President Rodrigo Duterte had consistently supported the potential bid of his daughter, Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio of Davao City, to run for president in the May 2022 elections, but that she did not want to.”

Vera Files rated this: False

Vera Files says: Contrary to the claim of Palace Spokesman Harry Roque, Duterte explicitly said in at least two recent speeches that he had dissuaded his daughter from seeking the presidency in 2022. Duterte-Carpio herself belied Roque’…

Checked by Vera Files13 May 2021PhilippinesElections
Rodrigo Duterte

“President Rodrigo Duterte renews his 2016 campaign promise to create a working environment where security of tenure, among others, "are not only upheld, but also cherished”

Vera Files rated this: Needs Context

Vera Files says: President Duterte had a chance in July 2019 to enact a Congress-approved bill penalizing contractualization, but he chose to veto it, saying the proposed law "unduly broadens the scope and definition of labor-only contr…

Checked by Vera Files4 May 2021PhilippinesElections
Rodrigo Duterte

“I never, never in my campaign as president promised the people that I would retake the West Philippine Sea. I did not promise that I would pressure China. I never mentioned about [the row between] China and the Philippines in my campaign because that was a very serious matter. - President Rodrigo Duterte on May 3, 2021”

Vera Files rated this: False

Vera Files says: During a debate among presidential candidates in April 2016, Duterte said: "Pag sinabi [ng PCA na] panalo tayo [at] ayaw ng China, I will not go to war … Pupunta ako sa China. Ngayon, ‘pag ayaw nila, then I will ask the…